to main page send e-mail Last Updated:  Wednesday, April 1, 2020
Lost for words? Let The Mover find them for you!

The independent voice of the global moving industry


Essential information for hauliers for when the UK leaves the EU

Nov 12, 2019
At the time of writing, The Mover has no way of knowing if the UK will leave the EU by the new deadline of 31 January, 2020. However, if it does, and if there is no deal, these are the documents hauliers will need when travelling across The Channel.

Driver documents you’ll need include:

  • International Driving Permit(s) in some countries (France, Italy and Cyprus);

  • A passport. You should have at least six months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland). If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the six months needed. Check your passport;

  • An ECMT permit for some journeys (99% of journeys between the UK and the EU will continue as they are now, and will not need a permit, until at least 31 December, 2019). Check if you need an ECMT permit;

  • Driver Certificate of Professional Competence;

  • A tachograph driver card.

Vehicle documents you’ll need include:

  • Motor insurance green card(s) for the vehicle and/or trailer and for separate policies, e.g. insurance renewal;

  • A GB Sticker on the vehicle;

  • A vehicle log book.

Act now, check EU exit haulier guidance and download reference guide for the most up to date list of documents.

Documents from your shipping provider

In addition to your driver and vehicle documents, you will also need to request separate cargo and customs documents from your shipping agent.

You will need more documents if you are transporting high risk goods or animal/plant/other controlled products.

It is the responsibility of the exporter to provide these documents, but they will be needed to take goods across the border.

Check EU exit haulier guidance for a complete list and download the reference guide for the most up to date list of information.

Documentation for importing and exporting goods

EU countries may impose different requirements on their side of the border. Carrying goods that do not comply with EU requirements could result in delays or penalties.

You should familiarise yourself with these new processes.

Import and export guidance for France;

Import and export guidance for the Netherlands;

Import and export guidance for Spain.

Operation Brock – Traffic Management System

In a no-deal Brexit scenario Operation Brock will play a vital role in ensuring that goods continue to flow in and out of the UK and disruption is kept to a minimum.

Operation Brock is designed to tackle disruption at the border by queuing lorries bound for Europe on the M20, while keeping all other traffic moving in both directions on the other side of the motorway. If the M20 capacity was not sufficient, Manston airport and, if necessary, the M26 could also be used to queue lorries.

To help prepare for Brexit, before setting off drivers should familiarise themselves with how Brock could impact on their journeys.

Information on whether Brock has been activated and what it means can be found on Highways England's website.

Need to know more?

Keep track of the UK government's latest Brexit information and advice.

ISS Relocations: UAE, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait and India
     Click here to send us your stories
     22,902 page views February 2020
     List of advertisers
     Directory of suppliers
  Maxi Mover - low floor Luton van sales
Cookies: This site uses non-invasive cookies to provide an enhanced visitor experience and to measure site performance.  By viewing this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies in this manner.  For further information on how cookies are used on this site, please see our privacy policy.
Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Use  All material © 2011 The Words Workshop Ltd.